Friday, September 8, 2017

Selling AFL, Buying SJM

Put orders in today to sell my position in AFL, and start a position in SJM

AFL has been a decent performer, and is a modestly overvalued today.  The dividend is down to 2.14%, and also hold a larger position in my taxable account.  As a result, I'm closing the AFL position in favor or something more undervalued with a better yield.

Enter Smucker (SJM).  JM Smucker came to attention today via Chuck Carnivale, article here:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4105099-choosy-investors-choose-j-m-smucker-dividend-adds-value

Thoughts on the matter:

  • AFL is a big position in two accounts.  Closing out one makes sense, and reduces risk
  • Growth prospects are better for SJM
  • Yield higher for SJM
  • AFL is a bit overvalued today, has a low yield, and is very stingy with dividend increases
  • I recently opened a position in ORI, another insurance name, so I feel fine closing AFL in the Chump account
  • SJM is a more defensive stock, and should fair well if the market tanks, or the economy slows

In short, this is an upgrade from my AFL holding here, a more defensive stock, and a better fit for my retirement portfolio given the higher yield, around 2.95% today....  Added the stock at $107, 1/2 position.

Best,

Chump

No comments:

Post a Comment